WOW! 6 YEARS already?! Six years ago (+ 2days) we crossed the border, leaving Canada for early retirement in Mexico! The plan …. the house wouldn’t be done until April 4/13 so we decided to travel the US until March, park & store the RV in Arizona, fly into Cancun, and head for our new home. We RV’ed more than planned, including all the way to … the house in Tulum.
Well THAT didn’t go as planned did it?!
Where did it all go wrong? Well, perhaps I shouldn’t say ‘wrong’ but maybe ‘way left’ instead 😉 Hmmm, let’s see ..
- The house progress wasn’t as progressed as we believed so we decided to drive the entire way; this way we could just stay in the RV until the house would be ready, right? Just a few extra weeks right? LMAO!
- A simple dental visit (along the way) in Florida turned into a punctured sinus. OUCH!
- Driving through Mexico .. OH BOY, ya’ll know what ‘reverse polarity’ is right?
- Ever slammed on the brakes while towing a Jeep to avoid hitting the cow in the middle of the road? It’s not as glamorous as it sounds .. those things are A LOT BIGGER close up!
- We both got sick within the first few weeks of arriving, however Les got better (and stayed better) Lucky bastard 😉
- The first few weeks in the jungle in the RV (while waiting for the house to be finished) were um, well, let’s just say that it was a good thing we were in the midst of the Mayan Jungle – no one heard the cursing! You have NO idea 😉
- After agreeing there was no way we were staying in the jungle IN THE RV while waiting for the house, we found our new temporary home & other expats in Paamul. Temporary right? All I can say is … wait for the book!!! For realz!
- Then came our new relationship with Hospiten and boy, then things REALLY went left!!
And here we are, 6 years later. We left Mexico in late November 2014 (for medical & personal family reasons) and we’re back in BC … but ONLY until Mack graduates .. then it’s time for Early Retirement – 2.0!
So as you can see, nothing went as planned. But what we got from that 2 years of chaos was new life and new family. I had so many regrets for a very long time (until someone pretty smart pointed out that we were in the right place at the right time for me) and he was right. If we had not gone on this journey and if this journey had been different in any way, I would not be here typing this today. So I suppose I can’t have any regrets, right? It took me a while to get there but …. right 🙂 I would do it all again.
Our advice? If you have a chance, take it. You never know what tomorrow will (or won’t) bring so live life to its’ fullest ♥ Today also marks the 5th anniversary of the 1st ‘what the %#&’ surgery, so a quick shout out to Dr. Ibarra @ Hospiten in Cancun … Las palabras no son suficientes para expresar nuestra gratitud ♥
‘LIVE LIFE & EXPLORE’